Client: SASOL and GiZ in association with Metsi-a-Lekoa, the Water Services Unit of the Emfuleni Local Municipality
Project: Project Boloka Metsi – Emfuleni water loss reduction project – Phase 1 & 2
Location: Emfuleni local municipality, ±50 km south of Johannesburg, South Africa
Contract: 2 years (2012-2014)
The project includes the following main tasks:
- Reduce internal plumbing leakage by appointing local plumbing teams to perform basic low cost household leak repairs.
- Increase community awareness to conserve water through water wise gardening, schools educationactivities, encouraging consumers to repair theirown internal leaks and to embrace water wisepractices within the home.
- Reduce the water purchases from Rand Water which provides the bulk potable water to the Municipality.
- Reinvest the full savings achieved back into the community by creating jobs, improving the level of service, increasing water use efficiency, improving water security and deferring future capital investments.
- Achieve water savings in the Integrated Vaal River System to improve water security in the Orange/Senqu River Basin which is an international river basin shared by Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and South Africa.